Congratulations on your Yellow Rating!
Time to get your friends on the water!
Your Yellow rating is the mark of basic sailing competency that allows you to sail with non-member guests at CBI. It also expands your other privileges on the water. Below you can find a description of your new abilities as a Yellow rated sailor!
- You may sail a Mercury by yourself of a Green or Yellow flag day.
- You may sail a Mercury with up to three guests. You must add guest privileges to your membership to take advantage of this, and all of your guests will need a guest card from the front office. You can read more about guest privileges here.
- You may sail on a Red flag day in a Keel Mercury, or with a reefed main. Additional restrictions may apply.
- After taking Jib I, you may sail with a jib on most Green or Yellow days after first checking with the dockmaster. You may be required to bring crew.
- You are eligible to teach Orientation, Rigging, and Shore School!
The next steps to really level up your sailing skills are to practice, practice, practice; and with the guidance of our Jib classes, you’ll be ready for advanced sailing in no time. There are also racing opportunities nearly every day of the season that will enhance your understanding of sailing technique and tactics. Additionally, one of the best ways to deepen your skills and reinforce your sailing essentials is to teach! Yellow rated sailors, with a few hours of training, can teach any Orientation, Rigging, or Shore School classes that fit their schedule. For more information about the Volunteer Faculty, click here.