Community Boating offers an opportunity to view the great city of Boston from an angle rarely seen. Rent a kayak and explore the Charles River Basin and Frederick Law Olmstead esplanade lagoon system while enjoying breathtaking views of historic Back Bay, Beacon Hill, MIT, and the Zakim and Longfellow bridges. This is a can’t miss experience for both out of town visitors and longtime residents alike.
Two-hour kayak (single or tandem) and stand-up-paddle-boards rentals are available for $32 per person plus taxes and fees.
Note that membership includes Kayak’s and SUP’s at no cost (not including Wicked Basic Sailing Pass).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Paddlers must feel comfortable getting on and off equipment without assistance.
- Masks must be worn on the dock at all times.
- Practice social distancing on the dock on and off the water.
- Our building will be closed to the public, we cannot offer bathrooms at this time.
- Lockers will be off limits, we recommend paddlers bring a dry bag.
- All items you bring, including cell phones, bags, and shoes, must be brought out on the water; we are unable to store any possessions for you.
- ALL equipment will be santized between paddlers and at the end of everyday.
- See below table for children under 18 paddling:
|Age 9 and Below||Must be 40 inches tall and in a double kayak with their parent or guardian at all times.t|
|Ages 10-15||Must be 40 inches tall and accompanied by a parent or guardian who is on the water providing direct supervision at all times. Kids may kayak in a separate kayak than their parents.|
Our kayaks are sit-on-top kayaks. You will get wet.
Lifejackets are provided and must be worn at all times.
Paddling is limited to the basin between the Mass Ave. bridge and the Longfellow bridge, as well as the lagoon system between the esplanade and the small islands.
Food and drink is welcome on all of our boats. However, we do ask that you clean up after yourself. The consumption of alcoholic beverages on CBI property or boats is not allowed.
Our dockmaster-on-duty may set additional restrictions for watercraft based on the weather conditions, powerboat boat traffic, special events, incidents, etc. This may include a restricted paddling area or a suspension of rentals.