Racing at CBI falls broadly into four categories
- racing in practice is unscored, and generally part of a drill or training exercise, results are not the goal
- Race Days at CBI are open to Windsurfers, Lasers, 420’s and Mercury’s, and encourage sailors to choose a teammate, rig a boat, and race with limited coaching assistance. An opportunity to put your skills to the test.
- Events at CBI are hosted by Junior Program staff or Adult Program’s Tiller Club including the Community Cup (JP), 420 Regatta (TC), and Elmer Harris Regatta (TC) and allow sailors to compete with members of other community boating programs in familiar settings and boats.
- Travel regattas (3-4 per year) are an opportunity to represent CBI’s Junior Program in racing at another sailing center. Racing in these is a privilege and requires some additional planning and preparation as outlined below. The CBITR also falls into this category.
- Work as a group to fund-raise to help offset the cost of travel regattas.
- Participate in weekly maintenance projects to keep equipment ship-shape and fast.
- Volunteer as an IIT, especially during Monday First Sail.
CBI also expects Race Team Members to…
- Display exceptional behavior and act as role models for other juniors.
- Represent CBI at regattas and other travel events with similarly exemplary behavior and corinthianship.
- The CBI Team Race presented by Zim Sailing (CBITR) is a top level teams racing event hosted at CBI with world class coaching: https://www.community-boating.org/programs/junior-program/cbitr/
- Please ask your coach or program director about Tiller Club events. These are listed on our calendar, and details can be found on the TC page: https://www.community-boating.org/programs/adult-program/racing/tiller-club/
- Community Cup is an invite regatta in Mercuries and open to all JP members with a Mercury Red Rating. This is a great event for newer race team sailors and interested parties alike. We invite other public sailing teams from Boston, Providence, Newport, Worcester and elsewhere.
- Kids Sail the Stars is a CBI only invite event hosted for IIT’s and other advanced JP sailors. It is more a celebration of the summer and a chance to have parents marvel at their kids skills, though racing is an important activity, followed by grillage (yum).
In general, this process can seem overwhelming for first-time regatta participants (and parents) so please ask lots of questions and be supportive of each other during these events. CBI offers many advantages to a typical club which requires parents transport boats and pay additional coaching and equipment fees for racers, though regatta fees charged by host clubs will still apply.
Fall and Spring Sailing is intended to be a continuation of the previous year’s Race Team. It will meet several Saturdays (see calendar) with the following conditions:
- Online sign-up begins a week in advance
- Practice will be held rain or shine (unless CBI is closed) and will be in 420’s unless the dockmaster has issued further restrictions due to weather
- Participants must have a JP 420 + Laser OR High School 420 Skipper rating to participate
- Participants may not have a HS team at their school during the current season
- Participants must be in 9th-12th grade (8th graders should ask for a waiver from the coaches)
- Participants must have appropriate equipment/gear for the cooler weather and water, and may be required to wear wetsuits or drysuits plus additional layers to sail 420’s whenever such restrictions are in place (during cooler weather)
The Fall 2019 season cost is $1-$149 on a sliding scale, and includes the fee for the Columbus Day Regatta hosted by CBI.